MyBB Central

Full Version: Discuss-All
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Can i please ask for any reviews on my MyBB forum and what you all think?

http://www.discuss-all.co.uk/

Thanks in advance
How can there be an "off topic" section of a general discussion board?

As I've stated time and time again, there's really no point to making these general discussion boards -- unless you're making one for a private group. There's literally no incentive for me to sign up, I don't need yet another place to talk about miscellaneous things with people I have no connection to. IMO, boards with specific topics and an off-topic section for that sort of thing are the way to go.
I agree with Bey Brad, but I must say the theme looks good lol.
(Jan 12, 2009, 11:26 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]How can there be an "off topic" section of a general discussion board?

As I've stated time and time again, there's really no point to making these general discussion boards -- unless you're making one for a private group. There's literally no incentive for me to sign up, I don't need yet another place to talk about miscellaneous things with people I have no connection to. IMO, boards with specific topics and an off-topic section for that sort of thing are the way to go.

Bah never anything good to say. Why bother?
Just because of that post i will join lolol.
Anyways i think its a good forum mate. I do think you could add some extras to your post bit area. Like awards or mood or something to fill it more. Or failing that change your avatar size to smaller. Seems the post bit is floating too much. (Constructive criticism there brad!)
As for the general discussion boards not working. Well i have one and its up to well a few members now and get more daily. Its the forum in my sig.
It has no specific purpose apart from chat and banter and its doing fine. So yea dont listen to Bey Brad. Well thats just my opinion anyway.
Stick with it and you will do fine. Not like Hackforums or anything but it will grow if your members feel comfortable and able to speak freely.
Like i said i will join and give it a go. Might add a link to you on my forum for others to have a look also.
Once again i think its a very nice clean theme but could use a little more info for the members like points (MYPS) , (Plaza) or something.
Also i found a little weird. When i registered it required email verification. No problem. But it sent me a PM before i had finalised my account and i was able to read it? Is that normal? What i mean is until i activate my account it should not have such access or should it?
Anyways thats the only thing i have found so far. If i find more i will post on your forum. Cheers DAMINK.
Hey, he outright asked for reviews. So I gave him one. I only give "constructive criticism" -- that is, specific suggestions -- when I feel there is already significant potential that can be improved upon. In this case, giving it a better postbit doesn't solve that the board is fundamentally unnecessary.
Yeah well there a lot of general discussion forums out there which are success for. Just because you don't like them it doesn't mean others can't have them.
(Jan 13, 2009, 07:20 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, he outright asked for reviews. So I gave him one. I only give "constructive criticism" -- that is, specific suggestions -- when I feel there is already significant potential that can be improved upon. In this case, giving it a better postbit doesn't solve that the board is fundamentally unnecessary.

But you decided it was worth telling him that?

Lucky Labrocca and others dont speak,feel this way. Or it would be oh you own a "general forum" then no im not going to waste my time helping you....
Dont get me wrong. I understand sort of what you are saying. If its got no niche then its useless. My forum started with 3 members. No real direction etc. Its nearly 6 months old and doing well. So it sort of proves your theory is shit yes? I also noticed on WBO that your biggest forum by a long way is general.. Isnt that ironic?
Anyways i am going to put you onto the ignore list Brad. You just annoy me.
Good luck with being mr perfect ok.
(Jan 14, 2009, 12:42 AM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]I also noticed on WBO that your biggest forum by a long way is general.. Isnt that ironic?

Beyblade General - 19 903 posts
all Beyblade categories combined - 33 666 posts
General Discussion - 15 412 posts

Rolleyes

Also, DAMINK (even though you can't read this, oh well) while your site is vaguely "general", there is at least some topic of focus to give people an incentive to join. Many forums have general sections more active than their topical sections, but those topical sections are what give people interest in joining in the first place.

And certainly, there are general discussion forums that make it big. Just look at Something Awful. However, the general forums that do make it are generally either attached to content, or have some intangible charm that makes them captivating. IMO, this forum doesn't have those.

As for JJUK, I'm not saying you can't have this forum. It's your decision. However, you asked for this board's opinion. I gave it to you. Do with it as you will.