MyBB Central

Full Version: Change usergroup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought a simple change usergroup plugin would be cool. Mainly because i have a 18+ Forum and cant work out a way to automate allowing members to view it. Basically i just want them to agree to being over 18 and once they do it opens up the other forums. Currently i cant work out a way to do this apart from manually creating a new user group and manually changing users, which i am doing now. Rather long way to go around it i thought though.
Create a custom group. Under "description" you can place a link to a custom page and say something like:

"You must be 18+ years old to join this group as well as agree to our TOS which you can read here: http://www.links.com"

Then under the groups edit and alter the "Publicly Joinable Options" so that it's checked. Customize group as you want.
Yea that sort of works. Now i guess if i can change the join now link

[Image: 12359000636319_Capture.jpg]

to a link to tos page. then in that page have link to actual join. As it currently stands anyone can join that group without reading tos.
But thats sort of what i wanted anyway. A few extra steps but it should work.
(Mar 01, 2009, 04:36 AM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]Yea that sort of works. Now i guess if i can change the join now link

[Image: 12359000636319_Capture.jpg]

to a link to tos page. then in that page have link to actual join. As it currently stands anyone can join that group without reading tos.
But thats sort of what i wanted anyway. A few extra steps but it should work.

i know of your issue.

i am trying to sort out a gender version. seems likes that is what i must do too.
You know you're goint to have to rely on your users being honest no matter what you do. Even with a TOS and pages of rules they can always click wtf they want. Making the task difficult for them just makes it more difficult for you. Is anyone going to be checking ID? Cuz if not you have to just rely on their good-will and honesty. A plugin won't change that.

Create a group for Males and Females and ask people to be honest about it.
Currently i have my registration agreement set to this.

[Image: 12359735013804_Capture.jpg]

LOL. But where highlighted you will see its obviously an over 18 forum... Does that stop underage joining. Not at all.
So i was looking for a second line of defense, as i like most others never read the registration agreement and for that reason some users still may not even know its over 18. Now by having a forum labeled 18+ it does 2 things. Makes it abundantly clear to new members that its for OVER 18 but also perhaps has the ability to entice members also. To make the member manually join the group as it stands currently atleast means that they physically changed there group to be able to view. Which has the effect i was wanting i guess.
This plugin idea could have been used in many ways though.
Thanks for your help Labrocca. Like i said effectively its working just not how i wanted. Regardless its not something i ever need to use rather new members so no biggy. Smile
Have you considered just altering the COPPA so that it's 18+ only to register?

It makes more sense to me imho to add a plugin that's a 18+ reg only.