MyBB Central

Full Version: Random users register then never return
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recently I have been getting a lot of one time visit members, they register then never come back, its all weird names, and i check in my AdminCP on the member section, and there emails all end with mail.ru

I'm not sure if they are genuine registered members or some sort of bot thing?

I know I shouldn't really complain about members registering, but I think its about 5 of these accounts now on my forums Sad

One thing I don't think i have is a thing where you look at the image and type in the numbers (forgot the name of it). I'm not sure what to do, if you think it is some sort of bot signing up, is there a way i can add some sort of form that makes the registering user have to do something like..

What is 3+4

Answer 7?

Or if you have any other suggestions I would definitely like to hear them Smile
Mybb does have a capture option for registration i believe. That should fix some of your problems.
As for the .ru address. Well thats Russia if im not mistaken. I would simply ban them as yes there prob bots.
But you say there are 5 yes? Thats bugger all mate. I would not be too concerned. Just keep an eye on them.
Labrocca has a great plugin where you can delete all threads off a particualr user. So if you wake up in the morning and your forum has been spammed then you just use that plugin and all is gone. There is ofcourse the built in spam thing. Cant remember whats its called. But that does help also.
Ahh ok thanks for the help Lex and Damink

Could i just quickly ask, where is the capture option, iv looked in settings under registered bit but i couldnt find it Tongue

But anyway for now, iv just seen the thread Lex posted, and this should work perfectly, if i am still getting .ru, who probably wont post in english anyway, i might set a ban for email with *@mail.ru
I also looked around to find the capture with rego. But cant. Im sure i have seen it before. But cant put my finger on it.
Perhaps it was a mybb source thing. I am banned from there Smile Smile so i cant check there anymore.
To think i was the first to donate there, I had over 200 posts and i helped in the merger.. Bah whatever.
Sorry Rob1991. (off topic) I must have led you astray mate. Sorry once again.
(Apr 13, 2009, 05:19 AM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]I also looked around to find the capture with rego. But cant. Im sure i have seen it before. But cant put my finger on it.
Perhaps it was a mybb source thing. I am banned from there Smile Smile so i cant check there anymore.
To think i was the first to donate there, I had over 200 posts and i helped in the merger.. Bah whatever.
Sorry Rob1991. (off topic) I must have led you astray mate. Sorry once again.

No problem, thanks for looking Big Grin

Iv got this Extra Question plugin in place now
Yea lex's work is solid. Just like Labroccas.
Glad you got it sorted mate.
A simple settings search for 'CAPTCHA' shows it's in 'General Configuration' called 'CAPTCHA Images for Registration & Posting'. It should be on by default anyway.
(Apr 13, 2009, 07:06 AM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]A simple settings search for 'CAPTCHA' shows it's in 'General Configuration' called 'CAPTCHA Images for Registration & Posting'. It should be on by default anyway.

I remember turning it off a while back because I didnt like it in the posts, plus i dont like the images. I know there supposed to be hard to read but some of them if you get a zero and a O you cannot tell the difference
Add .ru to your banned email list. I always do that.
Pages: 1 2