MyBB Central

Full Version: Registration with Automatic Group Setting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

In my forums, I have a private forum that can only be accessed by people belonging to a specific group. Right now to access it they have to write more than X posts, I'm using the "promotion" feature of mybb for that.

I would like to grant access to this private forum to new users automatically, as soon as they register. I have a list of subscribers elsewhere and would like to offer them this access as a gift.

But I can't do it right now because the only way to do it would be for them to write X posts OR for me to grant them access from the admin panel. This is not doable as this would just be too much work (hundreds of accounts to upgrade).

Is it possible to add a "PROMO CODE" feature in the registration page in the form of text box?

Something like this:

[Image: doyles-room-promo-code.jpg]

We would manage the promotion codes from the admin panel, and we would say for example:

* Promocode "SUPERGIFT555" used to assign the new user to Group X.
* Promocode "YEAH2009" used to assign the new user to Group Y.
etc...

Thanks!
HFerradj
Interesting and yes it's possible. Have you thought about just adding a forum password though?

Quote:I would like to grant access to this private forum to new users automatically, as soon as they register. I have a list of subscribers elsewhere and would like to offer them this access as a gift.

Yes it sounds like a forum password will work to do that.
Ah Smile

Thanks Labrocca, I didn't remember this password option!

I just hope that the password won't annoy the current members who are used to browse this forum.

Thanks again
Hi Labrocca

After my last post I was going to setup a forum password as you suggested but there is a problem with this approach.

If I'm only using a password, then I have no way to know which users have access to my private forums. This is problematic because I have to send them private messages whenever new lessons are being published. I don't want the basic members to receive those messages.

If they were assigned to a group I could easily do this. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks