MyBB Central

Full Version: Annoying children on my forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

There are two members on my website who are spamming my whole forum. I tried to talk with them but they don't reply to my words. They are constantly posting thinks like 'I declare war' and 'I'll kill you' etc.
So I banned them but they create new accounts so I disabled registrations and banned their IP's and installed the My_Proxy_Killer plugin from here but they keep spamming. Is there any way I can stop them?
You could try banning the email address's there using if that is a constant. But ultimately there is not a great deal you can do to be honest.
I would use the plugin Labrocca has that allows you to delete a user and all his posts. That makes easy work of a spammer.
But ultimately i would say. Dont bite back. Just keep being vigilant in banning them.
Good luck.
I'm not too sure what you can do. What countries are they from? You might have to block certain countries on your .htaccess list. I would also find all the tor ip addresses and block those in your .htaccess list. If they're using a spam email like "[email protected]", spam.la being the website, then block that entire email functionality.

If you really wanted to, you could require administrative approval for account creation.
I think this may help as well:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showt...hp?t=33851

Another tip. Set accounts to only be able to use one IP address.

I suppose these are all very drastic measures. It'll make it more difficult for your normal visitors to view the site. I do know there may be some helpful plugins over here:

http://mods.mybboard.net/mods

I'm sure some of those may help. Remember that the more security you have is the less functionality, the more functionality is the less security. It may come down to just having to continuously ban them until they get bored and go away. Go with Virus' suggestion and get that plugin as well.
(Apr 24, 2010, 05:13 PM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]You could try banning the email address's there using if that is a constant.
All right, that's a good one but I think they I'll make new ones.

(Apr 24, 2010, 05:13 PM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]I would use the plugin Labrocca has that allows you to delete a user and all his posts.

OK, what's the name of the plugin?

(Apr 24, 2010, 05:13 PM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]But ultimately i would say. Dont bite back. Just keep being vigilant in banning them.
Good luck.

Thanks, that's what I have been doing since yesterday.

(Apr 24, 2010, 07:00 PM)MasterZuFu Wrote: [ -> ]What countries are they from? You might have to block certain countries on your .htaccess list.

Well the problem is, that my forum is a dutch speaking forum only, so only for inhabitants of the Netherlands (and Belgium).
So if I would block his country, I would block everybody's country so unfortunately, that's not an option.

(Apr 24, 2010, 07:00 PM)MasterZuFu Wrote: [ -> ]If you really wanted to, you could require administrative approval for account creation

Yes that's right but that would be a lot of work for a long time.

(Apr 24, 2010, 07:00 PM)MasterZuFu Wrote: [ -> ]I think this may help as well:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showt...hp?t=33851

Thanks! I'll have a look at that

(Apr 24, 2010, 07:00 PM)MasterZuFu Wrote: [ -> ]Another tip. Set accounts to only be able to use one IP address.

OK, that's a good one
(Apr 24, 2010, 07:00 PM)MasterZuFu Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure some of those may help. Remember that the more security you have is the less functionality, the more functionality is the less security. It may come down to just having to continuously ban them until they get bored and go away. Go with Virus' suggestion and get that plugin as well.

Yes that's right, thanks.

Many thanks, DAMINK and MasterZuFu! This will help me a lot.