REGISTER or LOGIN to have the annoying ads removed.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SOLVED] About Fees (title renamed/shortened)
(Dec 09, 2008, 06:56 PM)labrocca Wrote: Let me give you a better reasoning.

Do you pay for hosting of your free MYBB? Do you pay for the domain? Did you pay for the internet access you have? Did you pay for the computer you are on? How about the electricity to turn the computer?

I am not Mybb. I am under no obligation to be a free software provider and Mybb has given it's blessing to my project.

Would you complain realistically to your host..."hey...mybb was free why do I have to pay to host it"?

The argument that since Mybb is free everything related must also be free is absurd.

Quote:There were "FREE DOWNLOADS!" and things like that written on there - strange, I thought.

You won't find that anywhere here. Even at the mybboard community site I have it in my signature that downloads here are for paid subscribers.
http://community.mybboard.net/user-2877.html

Quote:[Some plugins at Mybb Central are for paid subscribers only.]

And I now also place that on the top of all my plugin releases too. I am not here to mislead people. They won't pay by accident. I am not here to upset or tease people that can't or won't pay.

Mybb Central is my own personal independent site where I release my own work and offer support. The plugins created are made possible by the subscription fee. Otherwise I could not justify the time spent which is literally hundreds of hours. I am 38 with 4 kids. I can't do this as a hobby. I need a revenue stream no matter how small. The fee is $5 per year for downloads with a liberal usage license. I don't ask for links back. I don't require posts. I often help people install or fix problems for no fee. The $5 per member subscription I recieve is nominal in comparison to the effort I place into mybb daily.

Thank you.

Fair enough, I can understand that Smile

(Dec 09, 2008, 07:13 PM)Matt_ Wrote: RE the free downloads thing, on the tagpad, someone has typed something about free downloads, but Dan, labrocca has no real control over what is posted there, so that argument was a bit limp if I'm honest.

That was just part of the story - I wasn't criticising it in anyway.

Well, great, looks like I've got off to a bad start just by stating my own opinion... Ah Well Smile Life goes on.

I understand you have to make ends meet.
I understand that it's a small fee.

You've changed my opinion.

Thanks,

DC.
I ain't holding it against you. I would say 1 out of 10 of these posts I even respond to. I get it all the time. You just seemed intelligent enough that given perspective I think you would understand. I think people have a gut reaction to the membership fee instead of actually thinking about it. They are at Mybboard and think "this is great it's free" which it is..then they hear about mybb central or click my signature there and BAM..they see a fee and freak out.

As I said..I am not Mybb and I refuse to join the staff there to keep it that way.
oh my god, 5 bucks your now bankrupt [/sarcasm]

5 bucks is pocket change, seriously don't complain about 5 DOLLARS, even in this economy.

he should be charging like 30 bucks for 1 time fee, i would probably pay it too.
I would happily pay 3 or more times the $5 fee just for the plugins available here.
(Dec 10, 2008, 04:02 PM)yeti Wrote: oh my god, 5 bucks your now bankrupt [/sarcasm]

5 bucks is pocket change, seriously don't complain about 5 DOLLARS, even in this economy.

he should be charging like 30 bucks for 1 time fee, i would probably pay it too.

Keep up... Please Smile

Read the latest posts first... that way you will realise that I have read what labrocca has said and I now understand more of why there is a fee.
(Dec 11, 2008, 01:36 PM)DanChorley Wrote: Keep up... Please Smile

Read the latest posts first... that way you will realise that I have read what labrocca has said and I now understand more of why there is a fee.

and on that note, i call for a topic lock Smile
If I had my way non subscribers wouldn't be able to post in the released plugin section.
That actually makes sense. Then they couldn't clutter up the release threads asking why they can't download.
Quote:If I had my way non subscribers wouldn't be able to post in the released plugin section.

It's not a bad idea. The problem is that mybb gives off such a generic permissions message that people don't understand why they get the error. The error tells them they might be banned, might not be logged in, might not have permissions, and so forth. I hate that. As it is now ...people don't understand they don't have permission to download so adding no posting would create the same effect of people posting "why can't I post" instead of "why can't I download". It's frustrating.
Mm, true... I agree with the fact you should have more control over it. Often a problem is nothing to do with any of the 3 things mentioned which obviously doesn't help the users.