REGISTER or LOGIN to have the annoying ads removed.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Shoutbox
(Mar 16, 2009, 11:34 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: The key to make a site bigger is to make something unique and something useful of course.
I use the shoutbox a lot, it's easier to talk. The shoutbox is also a method of "forcing" your users to be Online more time as they're talking there. Then once they refresh they'll notice new posts and will probably reply. So while they shout, they also post Tongue This is my theory, it works on my forum, might not work on others

Ever think to remove it and see if your post count goes up?
My site is a hiphop forum, so they talk about music and their music and post links to get feedback on it, so i probably would have alot of people post and shout.
@labrocca yeap, I don't remember if the post count went up, it probably went because of the "Where did the shoutbox go?" thread Tongue
[Image: mystatssig.php]
(Mar 16, 2009, 04:16 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: @labrocca yeap, I don't remember if the post count went up, it probably went because of the "Where did the shoutbox go?" thread Tongue

that is what happens. Users want to chat with another.
When I started my forum I had a shoutbox, there wasn't a single post whilst it was there, all questions were in the shoutbox. Bad news.
Same here had a shoutbox for over a year and only used it to post the following:
The shoutbox is a tool to be used for friendship. No solicitation, or questions regarding passwords etc.

What did I get? " how can I get this to work" " Where is the password ?" Why can't I find this ?

You get the picture..heheh
Why did you need to bump this thread, this was awhile ago.
(Mar 16, 2009, 09:29 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: I have updated the spicefuse shoutbox to match my needs. I have permission from the author to release it but I am always doing something when I remember that I must release it Tongue
http://forums.consoleworld.net its at the bottom, it's disabled for guests sorry.

New features:
  • Shoutbox Box (Not very intelligent Tongue. Has mood and its answers depend on its mood(this was coded on September, 2008 so it sucks lol))
  • Private Message command - /pvt (/pvt USER_ID_HERE Message)
  • Deleted shouts are not deleted but hidden from normal users except Super Mods (if they have permission to delete(hide)) and administrators. The hidden shouts can be removed or recovered.
  • Shoutbox bot
  • Colors inserter
  • MyCode inserter
  • Popup Shoutbox (Full and Normal)
  • Portable version (doesn't use javascript so many features are not available)
  • "Tell a user that you need to talk with him" feature (A message will appear below the uid text box telling the end user that you want to talk to him)
  • Smilie inserter
  • Allows HTML if the setting is set to Yes

just wondering how did you get your group legend like that in the bottom where people are referred to a list of people in that staff?
Sorry if this is too late or if I'm reviving an old thread (it's not that old though).
It's a plugin made by Lex, got it from this site
[Image: mystatssig.php]
Sorry for bringing up a old thread. But I can counter what you said labrocca, there is a successful forum running a shoutbox. It's called http://www.msghelp.net part of the Messenger Plus! Live software, it draws spam away from the board and keeps it to one place. That's the best shoutbox ever made for myBB (made by WDZ, like every other mod on that board) but it's for an old board.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shoutbox /w Filter function Mark Topper 0 1,006 Jun 17, 2010, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Mark Topper
  Shoutbox - the ability to write posts from X / X rank user tomcool 0 980 Feb 20, 2010, 04:02 AM
Last Post: tomcool
  Shoutbox grim line 9 3,949 Nov 05, 2009, 02:59 AM
Last Post: labrocca