REGISTER or LOGIN to have the annoying ads removed.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help for securing MyBB
Hello everyone.

And hello Omni.
You banned my l33t account on HF for "LQP" for 3 weeks then permanently.

Anyway, I need some help/advice on securing my MyBB forum.

I haven't made a public forum yet so this is a first for me and I don't want it to be a bad experience buy it getting hacked.

Things I've already done:
Changed the admin directory
.htaccess in the new admin folder only allowing my IP to connect to it
Added the "pin" for the admin login page
Made a hidden user as the Super admin and my admin is now Super Mod
Added the PHP firewall
Disallowed custom avatars (To prevent people getting my backend IP)

Things that I will be doing:
Getting a subscription on this forum for the secure plugins

So any advice/help would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.
(Jan 01, 2014, 10:52 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: If you don't want people getting your backend IP, you'd have to use an external mail source. MyBB is pretty secure in itself, so as long as you don't use insecure plugins, and your server is secure, you'll be fine. Shared hosting isn't too secure, so I'd stay away from that. You should also use a reputable host, and let them know to double check with you before anyone tries to make changes to your account, you should setup a "safe" word or something. You'll need a reputable host that knows what they're doing (certainly not one that you'd find on HF), you should have a good software firewall on your server only allowing incoming and outgoing ports that you absolutely need. Don't have random packages installed on your server, only use what you need. Ensure that your email is secure. Most of it is just common sense.

Thank you.
I'm on a VPS with a 30+ character password for SSH and a different 30+ character password but I do not have an external mail source.
I won't be using insecure plugins. I will be getting a subscription here and using these secure plugins.

What external mail source do you recommend?
What firewall do you recommend?

Thanks.
Hi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hiHi hi
http://wallbb.co.uk/mybb-forum-backup-re...-tutorial/
http://wallbb.co.uk/prevent-mybb-forum-c...g-leecher/
^^ Read these articles mate
Also make sure you have a good forum hosting
WallBB Premium MyBB Themes
PM me for any type of support Smile
(Jan 02, 2014, 06:40 AM)Rymax99 Wrote: As for the mail source, you'll either need to find a remote SMTP service that doesn't include the original mail source in mail headers (will take some searching around, and asking different SMTP providers). You could also try and setup your own on another VPS.

Hi. I need a SMTP service that doesn't shame my IP. Any suggestions? Tried Amazon SES with no luck. If not, what client server could I use in another VPS?
cam someone help me?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MyBB Central Plugins Work with MyBB 1.4? S.T.A.R.S 2 2,127 Oct 20, 2011, 07:45 PM
Last Post: F4T4L 3RR0R