REGISTER or LOGIN to have the annoying ads removed.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with the current version of Dowloads Section and suggestions.
I have noted a couple/few issues that exist with the current version of the Downloads Section plugin:

1. It seems to use the boards attachment file size limits and allowed types, rather than separately using it's own.

2. Auto renaming issue, when you upload a file it is auto renamed to a letter/number combination, rather than retaining it's original name upon download. Not only does this look unpleasant, it makes members weary of downloading something they don't recognize the name.

3. I'd like to see an add a file by URL feature. Sometimes people with slower connections have issues when attempting to upload larger file such as page timeouts which will interfere with the upload process. Adding a file by url will solve this issue.

4. File/upload time/timestamps/date.

5. General overhaul/visual improvements.

This is not a request thread, rather a suggestions thread on what this plugin is still lacking and what improvements could be made. I understand no one is obligated to add these features.
It is so weird the amount of people that have problems with the name of the file being changed during upload. I have not had one member on my forum complain about downloading any file. If they don't like the name, they can change it to whatever they want to...but Lex did have a point when he mentioned something somewhere around here. If the files retained their names, and someone knew what to look for, they could circumvent the download process and just snag it by typing the whole URL. This way, they can't figure out the name themselves.

Whether or not anyone tries to implement any of the "faults" that have been pointed out, I'm just happy to have it working on my forum. Having a download system is so much easier than the way I used to do it.
judel Wrote:It is so weird the amount of people that have problems with the name of the file being changed during upload. I have not had one member on my forum complain about downloading any file. If they don't like the name, they can change it to whatever they want to...but Lex did have a point when he mentioned something somewhere around here. If the files retained their names, and someone knew what to look for, they could circumvent the download process and just snag it by typing the whole URL. This way, they can't figure out the name themselves.

Whether or not anyone tries to implement any of the "faults" that have been pointed out, I'm just happy to have it working on my forum. Having a download system is so much easier than the way I used to do it.

I believe labrocca mentioned theres a way to implement it so when you upload the file it is renamed, but upon downloading it, it reverts back to it's original name.

I would like to see a proper download section mod for mybb, while this one is ok it clearly lacks features. I don't know if the creater of the download section mod will be releasing any more updates since he hasn't been seen in a while like some other modders.

*Edit* I decided to use Mkportals download section for right now which does nearly everything I need.
Suggestion 3 is something i have in my modified Download Section =P

Edit : 2 && 4 too
Oh, you've updated it, huh? *rollseyes* and here you are bragging about it again. Is this the one you've released here or only the one you use on your site, Lex? Tongue
Suggestion 3; i provided that a while ago on the community board =P Someone else requested it. That aint included in the files i released overhere =P
2 && 4 is something i coded few hours ago =P

Edit: Found the thread! =P > http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...#pid145974
There are a LOT of problems with the Download Section mod imho. It needs a complete overhaul. Part of my project list includes a better version.
The mod is a nice idea for those who want to offer downloads on their website, nice to hear it is getting a much needed update.

I didn't know the person/modder who made the original downloads section mod was an administrator over at the official Mybb forums, I didn't realize that until I happened to see his name in a post over there. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skunkmedals fixed version ( medal and award system) labrocca 104 57,920 Sep 07, 2008, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Moko