REGISTER or LOGIN to have the annoying ads removed.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illegal
Hello,
I just wanted to ask:
I own a community, that is basicly about hacking / warez.
Most of it is illegal, however I use a offshore hosting.
May I be caught and sued for this?

If I add "The site author doesn't take any responsability for anything located on the site. All the responsability goes to server owner and material published."

Will this give me less chance to be caught?

Labrocca owns a site that is about almost the same too, but he doesn't seem to be hiding and seems to be legal. I wonder if you can do this freely then?
If you are in the USA you are subject to US law.

Quote:Labrocca owns a site that is about almost the same too, but he doesn't seem to be hiding and seems to be legal. I wonder if you can do this freely then?

I don't recommend anyone do what I do since I have a lawyer and I actually have a strong understanding of the legal system.

So in essence.I don't recommend you run a warez/hacker site.
Hmm, I guess I must read the Law first then.
Or just pleed ignorance lol.
If its a forum with a couple of hundred members i dont see it to be under the radar too much.
Just make the illegal stuff only available to members or even perhaps special groups.
I have been doing it for some time and no problems.
FTW Forum <-- Home of the DAMNED!
I have a weird thing that happens to my sigs. Its call moderation lol
Quote:Or just pleed ignorance lol.

Ignorance of the law has never ever been a viable defense.
True that labrocca. But when it comes to laws relating to the net you will find most are ignorant. Even the cops dont know whats what.
Trust me though. The people that will arrest you and put you in jail. They know the law and that's all that matters.
Here is hoping the "internet police" dont come knocking on my door any time soon.
Still one would imagine if said people existed they would be quite busy already.
Not sure if it would stand up but i have a TOS to join my site and law enforcement etc are not permitted to join.
Prob not weigh up to much but its there and they have to agree to it before they can join and see anything.
Quote:Not sure if it would stand up but i have a TOS to join my site and law enforcement etc are not permitted to join.
Prob not weigh up to much but its there and they have to agree to it before they can join and see anything.

That's a falsehood. In criminal court it wouldn't hold up. As a matter of fact it's probably damaging that you even do that. Why would you try to screen out out law enforcement if you weren't aware that your site is against the law?

http://www.snopes.com/legal/privacy.asp
More importantly i am unaware of what gets posted on my site.
If someone was to post a hacked copy of something then i am not to know. I cant and dont check every post.
As for screening out law enforcement. Well i just dont want them on any of my sites.
Its my choice and i choose to not allow anyone that wears a badge. Its a semi private place. Thus the registration is required.
Mybb has TOS default yes? Why i have to ask if there essentially useless??
I had a goverment organisation use some info from one of my other sites a few years ago and tried to use it against me.
I countered that with my tos and they infact dropped it. A little more too it but they found out i was partnered and i had stated i was not.
Now they wanted to screw me based on this but were not able to because they were in breach of the tos and also that still prooved nothing.
I can say what ever i like and it does not make it fact. Same as someone can post something claiming to be a hacked prog etc and i am not going to check.
One would have to manually download the file in question after agreeing to tos. And then checking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Illegal or Legal? evilalex 2 1,358 Oct 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
Last Post: labrocca