REGISTER or LOGIN to have the annoying ads removed.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request to restrict viewing of threads X days
Hi there,

I use the subscription plugin to help fund my forums.

My forums are similar to placing ads and when I visited a classifieds site it had a feature that i would love on my forums.

They had a restriction that free users could not actually see content until it was X days old unless you subscribed.

I would like a forum plugin so I could restrict my free usergroup and guests to not be able to see the thread content until it's x days old.

Do you think this is possible as a plugin?
For free user could be possible, but not for guests.
The forum would have to be saving all the IPs of all of your guests in the database and ... well you know what it could happen
(Dec 24, 2009, 02:15 PM)Arqui Wrote: For free user could be possible, but not for guests.
The forum would have to be saving all the IPs of all of your guests in the database and ... well you know what it could happen

Hi there, thank you so much for the reply.

Guests only need to see titles only and no content. I think I have seen a plugin that can do that. I think I was slightly unclear as guest don't need the threads revealed at X days as I want to get people to register anyway.

I'ts really aimed at free users.

The example I have seen was on a different forum software.

It was for people to give away used items to promote recycling.

The benefit was that paid members could see items posted for recycling immediately and giving them priority as a paid member to see the thread and claim the item.

Free members could automatically see the thread content 10 days later.
(Dec 24, 2009, 08:00 PM)netrover Wrote: Hi there, thank you so much for the reply.

Guests only need to see titles only and no content. I think I have seen a plugin that can do that. I think I was slightly unclear as guest don't need the threads revealed at X days as I want to get people to register anyway. [...]

Ohh I get it. But for that, you just have to check the permissions for guests, and allow them to view only forums, but not the content threads.
So, go (into your AdminCP) to Forums & Posts -> Chose the forum you want -> Permissions -> (Look for) Guests -> Set Permissions
Then, just dismark "Can view threads within forum?".

You can do it of other way too. Go to Users & Groups -> Groups -> Guests -> Options -> Edit Group -> Forum and Posts
And there you'll other options, including "Can view threads within forum?".
(Dec 25, 2009, 06:49 AM)Arqui Wrote:
(Dec 24, 2009, 08:00 PM)netrover Wrote: Hi there, thank you so much for the reply.

Guests only need to see titles only and no content. I think I have seen a plugin that can do that. I think I was slightly unclear as guest don't need the threads revealed at X days as I want to get people to register anyway. [...]

Ohh I get it. But for that, you just have to check the permissions for guests, and allow them to view only forums, but not the content threads.
So, go (into your AdminCP) to Forums & Posts -> Chose the forum you want -> Permissions -> (Look for) Guests -> Set Permissions
Then, just dismark "Can view threads within forum?".

You can do it of other way too. Go to Users & Groups -> Groups -> Guests -> Options -> Edit Group -> Forum and Posts
And there you'll other options, including "Can view threads within forum?".

Sorry but there is no option called "Can view threads within forum?". Or at least I can't find it. The options are:
Can view? Can post threads? Can post replies? Can post polls? Can upload attachments? All?
Make sure you follow all that i say. Cuz that you're saying are the options that you can see when you go to "Forums & Posts -> Chose the forum you want -> Permissions" and you need to go to "Forums & Posts -> Chose the forum you want -> Permissions -> (Look for) Guests -> Set Permissions".
Check it out.

And also you can go to "Users & Groups -> Groups -> Guests -> Options -> Edit Group -> Forum and Posts" where you can see the same option and another more.
(Dec 29, 2009, 04:10 AM)Arqui Wrote: Make sure you follow all that i say. Cuz that you're saying are the options that you can see when you go to "Forums & Posts -> Chose the forum you want -> Permissions" and you need to go to "Forums & Posts -> Chose the forum you want -> Permissions -> (Look for) Guests -> Set Permissions".
Check it out.

And also you can go to "Users & Groups -> Groups -> Guests -> Options -> Edit Group -> Forum and Posts" where you can see the same option and another more.

WOAH! Thank-you. I didn't know this. +Rep for you! but 1 down side. I want it to show the titles of the threads but when they click, they gotta register before they can view.... Any ideas?
I created a plugin for this before.

Just use the Guests Can't View Threads from here:

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-62325.html
Is this like, they can't access the forum until there account is 24 hours or something, if so, then that's what I need! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update Request imanish 2 1,997 Jan 30, 2013, 05:59 PM
Last Post: imanish
  Plugins Request [Read] Buddy 0 1,025 Aug 10, 2012, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Buddy
  Plugin request Avicii 4 1,941 Jul 31, 2012, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Avicii
  A plugin that locked/deletes threads when.... promoteboard 0 1,171 Apr 09, 2012, 01:05 AM
Last Post: promoteboard
  Request for a video enable plugin promoteboard 0 1,130 Apr 08, 2012, 09:33 PM
Last Post: promoteboard